Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Exhibition: Accomplished

At long last, Saturday arrives. K and I are a little hungover, but eager to join the throngs of fans from across the Midwest flocking to the Museum of Science and Industry for Harry Potter: The Exhibition. We're on track to make it on time until - wouldn't you know it? - the Link Bridge starts rising and there we are, stuck on Lake Shore Drive. Tourists get out of their cars to take pictures while I mutter (and occasionally shout) obscenities.

By the time the bridge is lowered and we drive the rest of the way to the museum, park the car and find the entrance to The Exhibition, we're a good fifteen minutes late for our timed entry. K says, "I have this really bad feeling they aren't going to let us in."

"Oh, we'll get in," I answer. "There's no way they actually turn away late-comers; they wouldn't really be that mean." Then the cordon is lifted - we're in! Phew. I did not want to have to settle for the Fairy Castle (no offense, Fairy Castle fans).

The Exhibition itself is staged largely in temporary museum space, big white tents that will be relatively easy to pack up and move come September (next stop on the world tour is still TBA). Upon entrance, several visitors have the opportunity to be 'sorted' by the sorting hat. To my dismay, neither K nor I are selected for this ritual - K because he's too old (obviously), and I because... well, I don't know why.

After a brief film of movie highlights (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince opens July 15), doors open onto the main exhibit area. The overall feeling is movie set meets museum meets kiddie amusement park. We see a huge number of costumes and props, from Harry's wand and the Marauder's map to the flying Ford Anglia and the Goblet of Fire. We get to pull a mandrake from its pot, sit in Hagrid's chair and practice shooting quaffles through quidditch hoops.


By the quidditch hoops there is a museum staff person talking with an adorable little boy. She's rattling off wizarding trivia questions and he knows all the answers! It is soon apparent that all staff are speaking with British accents, some more obviously fake than others. K thinks the accents are overly corny; I find them entertaining.

Several magical creatures are on display: Buckbeak the hippogriff, two centaurs, and even a dragon! K would have missed Dobby the house-elf had I not pointed him out hiding behind Dumbledore's robes. Sadly, there is no information about the movies' special effects. I guess I will have to watch some DVD special features.

All in all, the exhibit is fantastic and sure to be a hit with Harry Potter movie fans of all ages. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. On behalf of all Fairy Castle fans, I am seriously disappointed that you didn't stop by that exhibit. ;)

    It sounds like you had a great time! This really makes me excited for the next movie to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There may have been special effects info on the audio tour. But in order to be an audio tour person, i think you had to be an ass.

    Also Amanda, we did indeed stop by the castle. It was cool. I should have brought my barbies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, A has mentioned you are way into Barbies. I respect that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you! If you wanna borrow my Skipper, all you have to do is ask.

    ReplyDelete