Friday, June 26, 2009

London Lucky and Lakefront Thievery

It is a beautiful day in Chicago - finally, some relief from the stifling heat of the last several days - and I have much to be thankful for. This evening I'll enjoy a Brandi Carlile / Indigo Girls concert under the moon and stars, complete with picnic by K. Tomorrow I leave for nine days of vacationing in the United Kingdom. I'll fly into London and stay for a few days with a friend who is getting married on the 4th of July. I have not seen her since 2001, when we shared a room in Singapore. I expect to find her shining just as brightly as always and am looking forward to catching up and helping with the wedding preparations. Mid-week I'll travel to Cardiff, Wales, to stay with another dear long-lost friend. We'll go east to Kent together at week's end to meet up with still more chums from our Singapore days, and then spend all day next Saturday celebrating love, life, fun and drunkenness.

Life is good. But despite all of that, my heart is broken. I've just learned that my bike has been stolen. I rode her to work and parked her in a bike rack right at the entrance of Northwestern Law School, in a beautiful neighborhood with much foot traffic. She was locked with a cable lock. I thought this would be ok, but it was not. If you are a bike rider, please let this be a lesson to you. Use a kryptonite U-lock, preferably two of them, and don't trust your low-crime neighborhood to be bike-thief free.


I can't believe I'll never see her again! I did love her so. Not sure when I'll be able to scrounge up the money for another (undoubtedly less expensive) bike, but even when that day comes, I'll never forget her. RIP, Insight. Thanks for the lifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment